Friday, October 22, 2010

Brand thy self!




I adore design. It's a lot of fun trying to figure out what will read best. The top image is the current version of my business card (which I need to get printed) and the bottom image is my exciting resume (here have a pdf). Versions 4 or 5 of both of them. I've been going back and forth with the instructor for my portfolio class (Monte, who is awesome).

This idea of branding and marketing one's self, strikes me as a funny one. I also find it to be a bit of a conundrum. Just because of my skill set. What am I? What do I label myself as? Recently, I've flippantly been saying that I'm a project manager stuck in an art degree. I love being an artist but, when I graduate I don't want an art heavy job. I want a people heavy job. I want a job that uses these skills I have and have been taking for granted. 

It's made harder by the fact that the video game industry isn't exactly consistent from company to company about what a job title means. Am I a producer? An art manager? An art director? Maybe an art producer? That one sounds close but, not a job title you see around. So, right now my tag is "artist who fell in love with excel". It usually makes people smile and I like that. But, the stuff I do is so much more about people time than organizational time. Yes, I need to have my time with my spreadsheets (but, seriously I can do that to relax). But, the larger chunk of time is on invisible tasks. It's about unblocking people, keeping people in communication with each other and just making sure it all gets done.

Right now, I'm trying to find somewhere to work part time starting in January. That job title will hopefully be "Assistant Producer" I think that's one I can realistically aim for. I just need to finish making my producer's portfolio! And finishing figuring out what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment